17 May 2017 14:53:27
One for Ed002 please. Can you explain how third party ownership works if you have time? Thanks in advance.

{Ed002's Note - It means that a third party or third parties (typically agents or other representatives, investors, sometimes other clubs) own a proportion of the players economic rights. It comes about either (a) when a club wants to buy a player but don't have the money do so - then a third party will buy, for example 50%, of the players economic rights by helping to fund the transfer, or (b) when a club has a player that they think they will profit more from in the future, so they can raise funds by selling part of the player's economic rights to a third party. When these players are subsequently sold, then any buying club meeds to negotiate with the selling club and any third parties who own an interest in the player. This is where it can become complicated. If a club owned 80% a player and agreed to sell for £8M, the buyer then needs to agree with the third parties to buy the remaining 20% - and that could be at any fee the sellers want.}

1.) 17 May 2017
17 May 2017 15:50:49

2.) 17 May 2017
17 May 2017 16:31:07
Thanks Ed. that's a great overview I can see how complications can arise!

3.) 17 May 2017
17 May 2017 16:37:35
Ed002 can the club who own say the 80% buy out the third party at any time even outside the transfer window?

{Ed002's Note - Yes but typically they don't have the money.}

4.) 17 May 2017
17 May 2017 16:49:55
Ed in a circumstance say with Luan who I think has third party ownership involved at what point can the player be contacted and personal terms discussed for example if the fee was agreed with the club and not with third party would the club be able to contact the player? Im assuming vice versa would be redundant as Id guess agreeing fee with third party would not happen prior to the club.

Secondly is there a maximum % a third party can own? Is it possible for a players majority stake to be owned by third parties?

I can also see why it would be a major problem for dealing clubs as third parties would clearly only be interested in return so would look to extort as much as possible.

{Ed002's Note - The player can be contacted when the club that holds his registration gives permission. There is no maximum and other vehicles are used for players owned outright, such as Deportivo Maldonado.}

5.) 17 May 2017
17 May 2017 20:35:40
All very interesting ed.
Say if a player is looking to run his contract down and move on a free over some dispute he had with the club will the third party be in titled to any compansation.